Many years ago...probably 10...a dear friend of mine made this yummie bread and shared the recipe with me. I have not made it for years and decided to re-visit this recipe - glad I did!
1 2/3 cup flour
3/4 cup sugar
1 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
3/4 cup milk
1/4 cup olive oil
1 teaspoon finely ground lemon peel
1 tablespoon lemon juice
2 teaspoons poppy seeds
Lemon Drizzle: 1/2 cup powdered sugar, 1/2 teaspoon shredded lemon peel, 4-6 teaspoons of lemon juice (enough to make drizzling consistency)
1. Grease bread pan
2. Combine flour sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt and nutmeg.
3. In another bowl combine egg, milk, oil, lemon peel, lemon juice, poppy seeds.
4. Mix in flour mixture till well mixed
5. Poor into pan back at 350 for 45-50 degrees
6. Let cool in pan for 10 minutes then take out and continue to cool on wire rack.
7. After completely cooled drizzle with lemon drizzle and wait 5 minutes before serving....mmmm
This bread mixed up fast and fills the whole house with a wonderful, fresh smell. When made with half whole wheat and half white flour it is even better!